Monday 28 May 2012

Review IV - Clerks

Review IV
Clerks (1994)

I watched Clerks many months ago, re-watched it again a week ago, and again last night. It's definitely become one of my favourite movies. It was directed and written by Kevin Smith, and it stars Brian O'Halloran and Jeff Anderson as two best friends who work at a convenience store and a video store respectively.

Dante Hicks (Brian O'Halloran) works at a convenience store - but not today. Today he has planned to sleep in and play a hockey game. Unfortunately, he's called in to replace someone who's sick. He agrees with the promise that the boss will be in at twelve. Things go downhill from there. Randall Graves (Jeff Anderson) is constantly pestering Dante instead of working at the video store like he should, customers are constantly bothering both of them, Dante's girlfriend is revealing maybe a bit too much information about her past, Dante's ex-girlfriend is getting married, and a bunch of other funny situations ensue, including Jay (Jason Mewes) and Silent Bob (Kevin Smith) hanging out in front of the stores.

Unlike Jane Eyre, Clerks has fabulous writing but not the best acting. I would say the school plays I have been in have matched acting skills as most of the acting in this film. It really depends on the scene, but sometimes, dialogue is just delivered with such lack of emotion, and it obviously shows it was scripted. Still, I don't find it a major complaint because the dialogue that is written is really good. The scenes that come up are hilarious and original, and the "philosophical" (I can't think of a better word) views on people is really top notch. If you have to deal with people for your work on a daily basis, you can relate to this film. If you enjoy a bit of dark humour, you'll most probably like this film. I can't emphasize enough how well this film is written. Just go watch it! I also would like to warn you that this film is in black and white. I never had a problem with black and white films since I watch older films that were only ever shot in black and white, but some people have a problem with it. Trust me when I say you won't be begging for colour in this film. It's not like it emphasizes on colour ever, and honestly, don't make a black and white film stop you watching it. Many, many good films are in black and white, and this is one of them.

This is an extremely short review, but I honestly don't have much else to say about it. I'd give the film eight stars on ten. Like I said, the acting is really not that good, but the writing is superb, and the acting is not the worst either. If you're looking to be entertained, check it out. I've also watched both the version with the lost scene (funeral scene, for those who are wondering) and without it, and I prefer the one with the lost scene. It just adds an extra part of hilarity.

Pirate Bay torrent (with the lost scene!)

No comments:

Post a Comment