Saturday 2 March 2013

Opinion on the Oscars

It's been a week since the Academy Awards, and I'm sure, if you did follow them, you've already heard a great number of opinions on them. However, since I haven't had time to watch any films (except for two in class, but I don't think they should count), and since I did go out of my way to watch all the films nominated for Best Picture, it would seem odd if I didn't at least write a little bit on what I thought of them and who won. So here I am at two in the morning taking time away from sleeping in order to write here. You can thank me later!

Well, the Oscars were incredibly predictable this year. All the big categories gave awards to those who were predicted to win. Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role went to Jennifer Lawrence, Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role went to Daniel Day-Lewis, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role went to Anne Hathaway, and Best Picture went to Argo. I was super excited to see Christoph Waltz win his second Oscar for Best Actor in a Supporting Role, though I would have been equally happy to see Philip Seymour Hoffman get it. I'm glad Life of Pi grabbed some Oscars - the most, actually, for one film this year, including Ang Lee winning for Best Director! Best Achievement in Cinematography was rightfully awarded to Claudio Miranda for his contribution to Life of Pi, and Mychael Danna wrote an awesome score for the film, so he deserved an Oscar for Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score. The theme to Skyfall won, and rightfully so. Searching for Sugar Man won for Best Documentary, and I thought Malik Bendjelloul was wonderful for claiming Rodriguez as the greatest musician in the world, hehe. Although I didn't see it, the creators of the winning Documentary Short Inocente were really inspiring and made me want to watch it... Really, I could go on, but sadly, I don't really have the time, and since we're all subject to our own opinions, me just gloating over everyone I was happy to see win really seems like a waste.

I was disappointed that everything was so straight-cut for the Oscars. I mean, while there were some films that deserved the position - like Amour for Best Foreign Film - I really would have liked to see Quvenzhané Wallis win for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role. It's also more interesting when a film that was almost guaranteed an Oscar according to the public loses to the underdog. Sadly, this year, nothing of the sort occured. The award ceremony itself, well, while it wasn't the worst, was not all that interesting. I thought some of the performances seemed super rushed, and the guests that came out to speak were not all that engaging. But anyway, I'm not here to judge that - I just watch the films.

Overall, I can't say I'm mad with who won, but I don't see any of the films that won really being extremely memorable. Hopefully 2013 brings out some creative genius that will be recognised for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment