Wednesday 30 July 2014

Review LXXXII - Forbidden City Cop

Review LXXXII
Forbidden City Cop 大內密探零零發 (1996)

What? Another review? That's right, baby, I'm on fire. I'm here to review the only other film I really looked into from my film class. It was also one of the most hated films we watched. I could not disagree more. I'm talking about Forbidden City Cop 大內密探零零發. The film is directed by Vincent Kok and Stephen Chow, and stars Stephen Chow, Carina Lau, and Carman Lee. I could have stopped after Stephen Chow because, seriously, his name just advocates craziness and hilarity. But hey, this was my first Stephen Chow film (I know, I never watched Shaolin Soccer - shame on me!). Run with it, okay?

The film begins with Ling Ling Fat (Chow) - a parody to James Bond's 007 status - running into a group of trespassers at the Forbidden City. While he fails to capture the swordsmen, he does acquire a scroll describing the kung fu move "flying fairy". Meet one of the elite personal bodyguards of the emperor, folks. However, this man, when not working as a gynaecologist and admiring his wife (Lau), prefers working on new inventions and can barely display any martial arts skills. However, he may just prove to be a useful asset to the emperor's crew in the end.

Writing a synopsis for this film was rather difficult because this film is everywhere. You really get the "mo lei tau" style that Stephen Chow is known for in this movie. Nonetheless, it was hilarious. To say it's a full blown parody of James Bond, it isn't. Instead, it pokes fun at James Bond and kung fu films reigning from Hong Kong. That makes it all the more hilarious. But again, I have difficulty really speaking about this movie because it is all over the place. I can only mention that it had extraordinary scenes. The introduction of the bodyguards was just brilliant. You go through the impeccable guards ready to defend and die for the emperor. Suddenly Ling Ling Fat comes rolling through, failing at a basic somersault. Pure genius. Next scene, the gynaecologist's office. He simply offers medication to everyone who comes in. The sex-crazed woman made me die. That tiger cry was too good. Another memorable scene, this one nearing the end, included the Oscar nomination. That was just brilliant. Just from those three scenes, can you not see how I can't exactly review this movie? It's pure comedy, out there to be crazy. I can see my father laughing at this film, and maybe it's my background that makes me really like this movie. Honestly, it's not something you can really sell to everyone. Hell, everyone in my class disliked the movie. But if you see it as a satire of Hong Kong cinema, specifically kung fu films, as well as a satire of just... random things, you could totally have fun with this movie. Or, you know, if you're 多动症 - hyperactive.

I can't sell this movie, but I had to make mention of it. Check it out if you're looking for something insane - you will not be disappointed.

Piratebay torrent

No comments:

Post a Comment