Wednesday 31 December 2014

Recommended Films Watched In 2014

Alex's Recommended Viewings of Films Watched in 2014

I said I was out for 2014, right? Well, I thought it'd be interesting to look back on 2014 and mention some films I watched and highly recommend. I watched a lot more films than I reviewed, so don't be surprised if I bring up a film I didn't write about here. No particular order. They aren't necessarily from 2014 since I barely watched any films that came out this year, but hey, who cares if it's from 2014 or 1914 if it's good? Let's go!

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
I'll admit, when I first watched A Clockwork Orange many years back, I didn't like it. But it did intrigue me. After reading about the meticulousness of Stanley Kubrick and even reading about A Clockwork Orange itself, I knew the film deserved a second viewing. This time around, I totally got and loved every moment of it. Honestly, I recommend this one with proper reading on Kubrick's ideas behind the film. Without it, I find you're missing out in the film. The Ludovico technique? Did it really work? I'll leave it up to you guys.

Monsieur Lazhar (2011)
This one was really moving. I watched it on the plane on my way back home from Japan, and I was sad that I hadn't watched it earlier. Highly recommended. Also check out C'est pas moi, je le jure! if you really enjoy Monsieur Lazhar.

La cage aux folles (1978)
I don't usually watch comedies, but I was convinced to watch this one. It was totally worth it. It's different in its approach, and while it doesn't necessarily have you laughing out loud, it's pretty legit. Watch the original.

Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975)
Guys? Guys. Seriously, this one is weird and I actually can't recommend it to everyone. But, if you're looking for a challenging, different, long, and pretentious film, this one is in. It goes through three days of a woman's life and how she's affected by the truths her son knows. This one is not for the casual watcher. And warning - it's over three hours. Legit if not crazy.

Koyaanisqatsi (1982)
Another one of these weird films, but I really liked it. You'll be chanting "koyaanisqatsi" for days on end to piss people off. It's not about plot, but rather about images. I was told it was a stoner film, but I still hold it dear to my heart.

Paths of Glory (1957)
Another Stanley Kubrick film, but it deserves it. The shots. The story. The beauty. I watched it while I waited in Haneda airport in Tokyo and I was blown away. Not a casual viewing, but still great.

Il sorpasso (1962)
That ending, though. That ending.

Tokyo Drifter (1966)
Suzuki Seijun is a name for the books. That's both a good and bad thing. Tokyo Drifter is hilarious and colourful, but also quite pretty. Check out Branded to Kill (1967) if you end up liking Tokyo Drifter. Slightly different, but still pretty good!

Y tu mamá tambien (2001)
A film with two super horny teenagers, a lonely woman, and social commentary up the ass. I can't say I'd highly recommend it, but it's worth a watch nonetheless.

Harold and Maude (1971)
Any praise I gave this film deserves it wholeheartedly. It's a really cute film. At first, I wasn't sure about it, but as soon as the fourth wall was broken with I Think I See the Light by Cat Stevens playing in the back, I was won over. Worth a shot!

I racconti di Canterbury (1972)
Watch this film. I dare you. It's a Pier Paolo Pasolini film, the same guy who did Salo. Does that make the dare more real now?

Plein soleil (1960)
Do I need to justify myself again?

Get Carter (1971)
The third film from 1971 to be on this list! Must have been a good year! Definitely recommending this one. Alfie (1966) is also an interesting watch. Go Michael Caine!

Con Air (1997)
Only would you ever hear Nicolas Cage say, "Put the bunny down," in an action film and do it with grace. Love it even after multiple viewings!

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
Deserves all the praise it has gotten. I wasn't crazy about the CGI, but it was still a captivating story. Definitely check it out if you haven't already!

I suppose there are more, but I think this is a pretty lengthy list. Should keep you busy for 2015 ;) All the best for 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment