Thursday 23 April 2015

Review CII - Sullivan's Travels

Review 102
Sullivan's Travels (1941)

Hey guys! I'm so on a roll this month - I'm very proud. I think having the freedom to stay up until three in the morning is letting my creative side loose. I was studying, but decided that since it was almost two in the morning, it might be a good idea to take a break. What's a better break than to review a film? And in fact, I think this may be the oldest film I've ever sat through. I tried to watch Metropolis from 1927 once on a flight, but that didn't work out too well... Anyway, I introduce you to Preston Sturges' Sullivan's Travels starring Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake. And yes, it is referencing Gulliver's Travels.

John L. Sullivan (Joel McCrea) is a famous picture maker, a director known for his light-hearted comedies. However, given the times, Sullivan decides it's time to make a dramatic film. "But you know nothing about hardship!" everyone claims. In response, Sullivan decides to journey off as a tramp in order to find out just how hard life can be. Along the way, he meets a young girl (Veronica Lake) who decides to help him out in his endeavours.

The film, about a man trying to escape comedies, turns itself into a classic comedy. I've already stated before, I'm sure, that I'm not a big comedy fan in general. But I thought the premise of this one was interesting so I decided to give it a shot. It was wonderful. Already the opening thanks to "all the clown, the buffoons who make us laugh" made my heart melt. I realised with that opening that the film was released about the same time that the United States entered the second World War - around December 1941. I seem to be getting evidence it was released 1942 in January, but bear with me, okay? While the majority of the public opposed joining the war since it had started in 1939, I guess people realised that Franklin D. Roosevelt, the president of the United States at the time, was preparing for the war nonetheless. I don't know - I think that fact alone blows my mind. This film is pre-World War II. That's pretty damn old, no? Anyway, as I was saying, the opening was absolutely heart-warming given the circumstance at the time (I am a typical woman, aren't I?). So that already had the film on my side.

The dialogue/plot/characters proved themselves to be clever - and with just a little bit of sex in it! This poor guy (ironic on so many levels) thinks now is the time to stop making funny films because of dire circumstances, so he heads off to live like a tramp. Hilarity ensues. The car chase seems to come out of nowhere and it was great - my boyfriend and I were really impressed. When Sullivan ends up at some woman's house, helping her out, when all she's looking for is a nice, young, firm... *cough* Well, that was funny. It's typical stuff - by today's standards - but the film does it well nonetheless. I thought Veronica Lake's character was sweet, willing to help out Sullivan on his travels. And everyone else, from the following press, the butlers, and studio bosses... It just worked. It was fun and cute, light-hearted, but the ending really spoke volumes. I think sometimes, as I grow older, the world really weighs down on you and you sometimes find it hard to laugh given all the garbage, all the filth in this world. But you know what? We have to take things humorously at times in order to get by. And I can't help but agree with the ending. It has been shown that even just smiling can trick your mind into thinking you're happy - if only momentarily! So let's all get a little happy, shall we?

I would totally recommend Sullivan's Travels. It might be old, but it still deserves a watch. It's not too long, and some of the comedy is cute and just plain works. Preston Sturges? Wonderful job. Just wonderful!

Also, because I was curious about the height difference, Joel McCrea is actually pretty tall - about six foot two or 187 cm - but Veronica Lake was also short - 150 cm or about four foot eleven.

No comments:

Post a Comment