Friday 20 July 2012

Review XVIII - The Seventh Seal

Review XVIII
The Seventh Seal (1957)

If you don't know who Ingmar Bergman is, you're missing out on one of the greatest directors that ever helped produce cinema. Alright, I have to be honest... I had only watched one other Ingmar Bergman film before this one (it was Wild Strawberries, aka Smultronstället), but I'm going to go ahead and make that statement anyway for two reasons. The first reason being that I did watch two films now and both made me think AND made me feel, which is extremely rare for a film to do. The second reason being that I have read enough about the man to see I'm not alone on this. Of course, the second reason isn't always valid since we all have different tastes, but if a director's films are still praised today, even if they were made over fifty years ago, and they're praised by people all over the world, then you can usually guess the director is at least good. Anyway, here is one film of his splendid collection called The Seventh Seal, or Det sjunde inseglet, starring Max von Sydow, Nils Poppe, Bibi Andersson, Gunnar Björnstrand, and Bengt Ekerot.

Antonius Block (Max von Sydow) meets Death (Bengt Ekerot) during his travels across Sweden with his squire, Jöns (Gunnar Björnstrand) in 14th century in the midst of the Black Plague. He asks to play chess with Death, saying that if he wins the match, he will be allowed to live a longer life. He continuously postpones the game, trying to find out the meaning of life and where one goes once they die. During his journey, he meets Mia (Bibi Andersson), Jof (Nils Poppe), Blacksmith Plog (Åke Fridell), as well as others who try to find meaning in life as the black plague kills people around them.

That synopsis doesn't really do the film justice because it only reveals the surface of this film. As I mentioned, this film made me think, as well as evoked an emotional response. A man is desperately trying to figure out what happens after death because he himself is about to die. He's living in a time where people are dying by the thousands, claiming a god is punishing them. It's interesting because it's not just, "Oh, I'm going to heaven." Instead, we actually get a film that questions the existence of a god, especially in the time of a major crisis. Since I am not very knowledgeable of Swedish culture, especially in the fifties', only of North American culture, I find this amazing. I rarely see a film question what happens after death today, let alone over fifty years ago. I love it. The acting is also good, and I love the personification of Death, which has become stereotypical apparently. I know we see Death in Last Action Hero, but anyway...

I loved the way the film was shot as well. Not only was I enjoying the dialogue, I enjoyed the cinematography. I definitely have a thing for black and white films since I find they're beautiful, but this one was also well shot. It was beautiful to look at, and that definitely made the film even more enjoyable.

I'd give the film eight point three stars on ten. I really enjoyed it. I can't give it justice with just talking about it, so go watch it - it's definitely worth it.

Pirate Bay torrent

No comments:

Post a Comment