Sunday 20 January 2013

Review LII - Zero Dark Thirty

Review LII
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

Kathryn Bigelow made history four years ago when she became the first woman to win Best Director at the Oscars for The Hurt Locker. While she wasn't nominated this year for her directing abilities, her film Zero Dark Thirty has been nominated for Best Picture! So, of course, I had to check it out. And for those who are curious, the title refers to a military term that refers to an unspecified time really early in the morning when it is still dark out.

Maya (Jessica Chastain) is a first-time CIA operative and she's introduced into the scene pretty horrifically - by witnessing a man (Reda Kateb) being tortured by a fellow CIA worked, Dan (Jason Clarke) in order to find out where Osama bin Laden is. (Quick note - on September 11th, 2001, in New York city in the United States, two towers, called the Twin Towers, were destroyed by terrorists, which resulted in the deaths of thousands. Osama bin Laden was believed to be behind this attack and a huge search was made to find him.) While she appears obviously affected by the act, it doesn't stop her from dedicating her life to finding out where Osama bin Laden is. This begins the long and strenuous journey to find the man who caused one of the most famous terrorist attacks on the United States in recorded history.

First I'm going to address this torture conflict that so many people feel the need to point out. Regardless if you agree with violent means in order to obtain information or not, it doesn't change the fact that these methods were used to extract information from individuals who knew about Osama bin Laden. Boycotting this film won't stop the government from doing this - protesting to the government will. Another thing is about how this film is unrealistic and how "Osama bin Laden isn't dead - it's all a lie!" While we probably all have a little Illuminati influence in us when it comes to the government, you can't claim he's alive more than I can claim that is dead. I have sources that are a lot more valid than you showing he's dead. It's a politically driven movie, though, so we'll always get these complaints, but I just thought I'd provide my two cents. Anyway, the film itself. It isn't my typical kind of film, that's for sure. I enjoy war films, but the war against terrorism never really interested me. I guess because I hear people saying, "Oh, all brown people are horrible people," it's turned me off. I'm living in the present day of this war so I experience the bias many people feel toward brown people, and not specifically terrorists, versus looking back at the Vietnam War and hearing how both sides were wrong. At the time, the Vietnamese were looked down upon, but it's not the same anymore. This movie isn't super biased, though, in my view. It just confronts the issue of terrorism and finding Osama bin Laden, and it's interesting. It's a compelling story about a woman trying to find this man and driving herself crazy to do it. While some information was withheld in the film to make it more dramatised, it's still a good way to familiarise yourself with this manhunt for Osama bin Laden. While I think books and articles give you a better picture, this film still takes a real story and makes it more interesting than I thought it would be. The final scene was super intense, and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was my favourite film of the bunch, but it's mostly the story itself that turns me off. Like I said, it isn't my type of film. Nonetheless, it's still a good film that, I think, deserves a nod from the Academy, but not necessarily a standing ovation.

I thought Jessica Chastain did a good job as Maya. Every time she swore extensively, it seemed almost forced, but I'm going to assume that is the point. She's trying to demonstrate her strength - and she does. Jessica Chastain was able to present a strong character, but was also able to show emotion when it was needed. Jason Clarke also did a great job, along with Jennifer Ehle as Jessica. They were able to convey emotion, but, again, able to show complete seriousness in their job. Everyone else (I'm clumping you all up, I'm sorry!), whether it be the captives or the crew helping out Maya, did a great job as well. It was believable acting, and it made the film that much more interesting. The characters, while they were brought into a no-laughing situation, they were still able to show the proper sympathy and emotions when the time came. Bravo!

I'd give the film seven point eight stars on ten. This is a really personal rating since, again, it isn't my type of film. While I can compliment it a lot, in the end, it isn't a film I would have gone out of my way to see. Still, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The acting is quite good, and the way it's filmed can be quite beautiful.

Pirate Bay torrent (not the best quality)

No comments:

Post a Comment