Friday 4 January 2013

Review XXXVII - Lincoln

Review XXXVII
Lincoln (2012)

The Golden Globes and Academy Awards are drawing closer and closer, and I've been looking up the films that have a high probability of being the contenders for "Best Picture", "Best Foreign Film", "Best Director", and all for the Oscars. This year's prediction for "Best Picture" (as well as "Best Actor in a Leading Role", among other nominations) for the Oscars is none other than Steven Spielberg's historical film Lincoln, starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, David Strathairn, and Tommy Lee Jones.

I might as well provide a bit of a history lesson again before I review the film. I don't know American history very well, so it did me some good to be informed before the film began. It explains it later on in the film, but regardless, here it is! During the 1850s, the United States was seeing a separation between the South and North due to the debate between the expansion of slavery. Seven Southern states (South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas) ended up forming their own sort-of union, the Confederate States of America, in 1861. This occurred shortly after republican Abraham Lincoln (who openly opposed the expansion of slavery) won the presidential election in 1860, but before his inauguration (before he was sworn in, you could say). The North (or the Union) and the South soon began a Civil War that same year in relation to slavery. The war lasted until 1865 when the Confederacy was finally defeated and slavery was abolished.

The film begins in 1865, soon after Abraham Lincoln (Daniel Day-Lewis) wins his second term in office. Abraham Lincoln is talking to two Black soldiers serving in the Civil War. While one of them aims to be friendly with the president, the other speaks out against the injustices that Blacks face, especially given the fact they are allowed to participate in the war amongst the whites. It is revealed that Abraham Lincoln is proposing to add the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. This amendment is to abolish slavery. He believes if he can get this to pass, it will end the war. However, many states are proving to be a problem as they are sitting on the fence about the issue or simply opposing it. The film focuses on his journey to get the amendment into the constitution and to end the war.

Every time I ever discussed the abolishment of slavery in the United States with friends, they always told me Abraham Lincoln did it for his own benefit, not because he was actually against slavery. When the film began, I went in with this very idea, which ruined the beginning of the film for me. However, no one can say Abraham Lincoln's true reasons for ending slavery except for Lincoln himself, and he's been dead for almost a century and a half. For this reason, I decided to just enjoy the film instead of trying to take everything as historical fact, and I did. I can't really comment on the plot since it is a historical interpretation ("I hate how the war lasted four years. Only four? That doesn't make sense!"), but I can say that it was definitely interesting. Even if you are not American or even into history that much, the film is still interesting. It's well put together, and even though you know the end result, it still provides suspense. The story is also interesting and it was well portrayed.

I was really surprised by Abraham Lincoln at first. He's a soft-spoken man even though he appears to tower over most of the people he encounters. However, I thought Daniel Day-Lewis did a wonderful job. Lincoln is a great speaker, a man who is very caring, and struggling to make the country united once again while providing the Blacks of America what they have been asking for for ages. Daniel Day-Lewis delivers a spectacular performance as the 16th president of the United States, and it is easy to see why he has won two Oscars. Could he potentially win a third? Yes, definitely, though I still have other films to watch, heh... I thought David Strathairn did a wonderful job as William Seward, and Tommy Lee Jones was also phenomenal as Thaddeus Stevens. I definitely got many laughs out of him. Sally Field also delivered a great performance as Mary Todd Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's wife. I would have liked to see more of her, but anyway, she portrayed a spunky woman, especially given the time period. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is also in the film (which is actually why I knew of it) as one of Abraham Lincoln's sons, not to mention John Hawkes and Jackie Earle Haley!

The film is not spectacular, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it, either. I give the film seven stars on ten. The film is an obvious choice for "Best Picture", and Daniel Day-Lewis gave a wonderful performance (as well as Tommy Lee Jones and David Strathairn). When I say obvious, I want you to know that it just seems like the type of film that would win. While I think Daniel Day-Lewis's performance will be remembered, the film can win "Best Picture" for 2012, but I'm not sure if it will be remembered as fondly in, say, fifty years time. A good film, but not a classic.

Also, I think the poster is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment