Tuesday 11 June 2013

Review LIX - Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

Review LIX
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)

That May 24th date really should have been extended, and it is not because I have not been watching movies. On the contrary, I've been watching quite a number of films! However, time always seemed to be a factor... Anyway, I won't catch up on all the films I watched, but I'll start off with a Korean film from director Kim Ki-duk called Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom or, as it is known in English, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring. Let's continue to the review!

One day, a young apprentice monk (Seo Jae-kyeong, Kim Young-min, and Kim Ki-duk) takes pleasure in tying a rock to a fish, a frog, and a snake. His teacher, a wise old monk (Oh Yeong-su), observes this and places a rock on the boy's back. He tells him he will remove the rock if he releases all the animals from the rocks. He warns him that, should any of the animals be dead, the rock will be a permanent burden on his heart. When the child discovers that the fish and snake have died, he is distressed. This begins the tale of both the young apprentice and his teacher as many seasons pass, revealing the hardships of life and the stone that can hold a man down.

The acting in the film was definitely top notch. It should be noted that the film is not very dialogue-heavy. I mean, some scenes rely on conversations between characters, but it is mostly about camera shots and the actions occurring on screen. Demonstrating your character by their actions alone, even small little habits they have, is not an easy feat. Nonetheless, this film captures the characteristics of each person in this manner, and I applaud it for that. And since I'm on the topic of camera shots and scenes, well, let me tell you - they are extraordinary! The location of the floating buddhist temple was beautiful and chosen well. One of the last shots where the audience gets a view of the landscape was absolutely beautiful. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring definitely has great cinematography.

The plot is interestingly done, as well. It's a simple premise, focusing on the lives of these two men, but it tells a great story. The rock dragging the young monk's heart is consistently present, and each animal consequently represents a person the young man affects in his real-life. This is interestingly done, and it ties the film together well. It's not a happy film, but it demonstrates how our actions have reactions and how they can near-destroy us. I wish I could go more in depth, but seriously, you have to watch it to understand. I appreciated the older monk who was wise and understanding, in the face of the horrible deeds committed by his apprentice. You also learn to appreciate the young monk, though I'll still go ahead and say that I held a grudge against him for hurting those animals, hehe. Again, I can't go into too much depth of the plot without giving it away, so I'll leave it up to you to check it out.

The film was well made and definitely got its message across. I'd give the film eight stars on ten. The plot relies on a simple premise, which works well, but I have to say that, personally, I prefer something a bit more intense. Regardless, the film captures scenes very well, and, again, it tells its story well. I'd say check it out and try and appreciate it for what it's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment