Friday 14 June 2013

Review LXI - Immortal Beloved

Review LXI
Immortal Beloved (1994)

I've been playing piano since I was three years old, so I think I can say that I have a bit more experience than most. This year, for my piano recital, I was performing a Beethoven piece. My piano teacher and I got on the subject of Beethoven's life when he mentioned that there was a Hollywood film about his life. He exclaimed, not verbatim, "It's no Amadeus, but it's good nonetheless!" I started watching the film a few months back when I wasn't too busy with school, but I fell asleep early on in the film. I decided to finally finish watching Immortal Beloved, directed by Bernard Rose, the same guy who did... Candyman?! I think that sums up the review, haha. Just kidding. Let's go!

The great composer Ludwig van Beethoven (Gary Oldman) is dead (Oh no!), but Beethoven's associate and secretary, Anton Schindler (Jeroen Krabbé), happens upon a letter to "Unsterbliche Geliebte", Immortal Beloved. This letter, written by Beethoven, leaves his entire estate to whoever this "Immortal Beloved" is. Schindler, thus, embarks on a journey to discover who this woman could be, revealing the major hardships the composer faced during his life.

The film is mostly accurate to Beethoven's life, or, at least, to what I've read about his life, aside from a few things. Then again, history is not always clear cut. Some things are up to speculation. For example, it has never been decided who Beethoven's Immortal Beloved really was. While most historians believe Josephine Brunsvik was the woman Beethoven cared for passionately, evidence leads to an inconclusive result. Still, if you're looking for a film that captures the essence of Beethoven and his life, this film seems to be pretty good in that aspect.

However, this film is definitely no Amadeus. I can't say it's a bad film, but it wasn't the most impressive, either. Still, I give it points for trying to depict Beethoven in a hot-tempered nature. Apparently he was angered easily and quite domineering, and the film was not afraid to show this. Unlike Lincoln which showed Abraham Lincoln in the most positive light, Immortal Beloved depicted Beethoven in a true fashion. I suppose we also have Gary Oldman to thank for that! At first, I wasn't so sure about the casting. I mean, they were showing Beethoven's promiscuous nature, and I wasn't sure I completely agreed with their choice to go with Gary Oldman. To be honest, I can't say I completely bought it, but his acting was not bad. He was able to get his nastiness across, but he still had his humble roots. Beethoven had a rough childhood, and Gary Oldman really demonstrated a hardened man as a consequence of this upbringing. Jeroen Krabbé was pretty good, as was Johanna ter Steege, Valeria Golino, and Isabella Rossellini. Nonettheless, while the acting was not bad, I still can't call this film that good. It was enjoyable, yes, but I doubt it'll leave a lasting impression. However, the scene where Beethoven lies his head on the piano was quite beautiful. Some of the cinematography was also quite beautiful, but overall, not the best film.

I'd give the film seven point eight stars on ten. I enjoyed it, but it isn't the best piece of cinema out there. Worth a watch if you want to establish a bit of a foundation on the history of Beethoven's life and if you enjoy a little romantic film, but again, nothing extraordinary.

Pirate Bay torrent

No comments:

Post a Comment