Wednesday 1 November 2017

Review CLXV

Review 165
A Different Take on the Horror Film Genre

Happy All Saints' Day! I was hoping to write a review yesterday, but given that I had an exam this morning, well, that wasn't going to happen. So instead I'm writing today. I mean, Dia de muertos is from October 31st to November 2nd, so we're not all that late, are we? Anyway, I thought I'd write a short review of two other horror films I took the time to watch prior to Halloween. Horror movies are for any time of the year, but if you really want, you can save them for next year. Let's get rolling!

Suspiria (1977)

I was told that Italian horror has a lot of pretentious films and fans. Well, I suppose I can see why, but Dario Argento's Suspiria is still pretty interesting. Not plot-wise and acting, but in the way they do everything else. The avid colours are something out of Tokyo Drifter from Suzuki Seijun, and the music is just as repetitive as in Blue Velvet from David Lynch. But it really works. It makes things different than a typical horror movie, and it's actually pretty cool. I wouldn't say the plot is anything super great - a ballet dancer heads to Germany to study ballet, only to find out the school is headed by a witch cult - or anything super original at this point, but it does make some interesting choices. Is it super scary? It isn't. If you're looking for something similar to John Carpenter's Halloween, you're not going to get that. But if you're looking for something that does stuff really weird - and without the jump scares - definitely check Suspiria out. I'm actually checking out another Dario Argento film now. If it turns out to be good, I'll write an extensive review.

House on Haunted Hill (1959)

Last year for Halloween, I watched a Vincent Price film. Here I am a year later talking about another one. Honestly, William Castle's House on Haunted Hill isn't your typical horror film - it's more a murder mystery in a sense, but it's still damn good with some spooky moments. The movie really ages well, and even if you're not into black and white films, I highly recommend this one. Vincent Price is awesome (as expected), but so is everyone else in the movie. I remember seeing a comment somewhere that this movie was trash, but let me assure you, it isn't. Again, it's slightly different, but it's pretty damn fine.

Well fellers, I guess that's it. Happy (belated) Halloween to you all, but remember, it's never too late to get the spooky chills.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment