Monday 1 August 2016

Review CXLIII - Lo chiamavano Trinità...

Review 143
Lo chiamavano Trinità... (1970)

It's funny because I never used to watch westerns, and now it is a genre my boyfriend and I fall on when we want to watch something and can't decide on a film. After having watched Django, I knew I had to check out Enzo Barboni's Lo chiamavano Trinità..., or They Call Me Trinity for us anglophones. It stars the well-known duo Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. With Bud Spencer's recent passing, I figured now was definitely the time to check out the classic. Let's go!

Trinity (Terence Hill) finds himself helping a group of Mormon farmers when he runs into his half-brother, Bambino (Bud Spencer), acting as sheriff in a small town.

That little blurb really is small considering Westerns don't usually have a super complex plot. This one is really just Terence Hill being a goof and Bud Spencer telling everyone to shut it. Having checked out Il mio nome è Nessuno, or My Name is Nobody prior to Trinity, I think this is Terence Hill's spiel in his earlier Westerns. That is, being this handsome man who looks to support the little man and has a super quick draw. Of course I'm making this assumption based on two films, but hey, he's known as Trinity, isn't he? Basically, Trinity is more comedic than Django and The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. You watch Trinity for some pretty hysterical scenarios and cute relationship between him and Bambino. Maybe watching some Mormons get beaten up might have been funny too, if that's your thing.

I think Trinity had some nice cinematographic points in the film. I especially loved when our duo enters the saloon to take on the major's men (I believe it was his men) and you get a nice shot of them from the mirror as we see the happy smile on Trinity's face and the deep frown on Bambino's. My boyfriend pointed out that he loved the colours and palette of the film. I personally loved the outside area where the farmers lived, as well as the wooden texture and framing in the sheriff's office. It definitely had an interesting appeal, although I feel like maybe I didn't give Django the time of day in terms of colours simply because the quality of the version I watched was pretty poor. Guys, watching in 1080p/720p really makes a difference in your viewing experience!

I don't have much else to say about Trinity. I have to say that I definitely prefer an overall darker theme in my Westerns, but I would be lying if I didn't say I didn't dig the relationship between Bambino and Trinity. I also had a good laugh at the beginning of the film as Trinity's demeanour was nothing short of my boyfriend (plus the beans), but let's say the opening scene really establishes the film. Django starts with a coffin, Trinity with a plate of beans. Worth a watch if you're looking for a polygamous relationship with your protagonists.


The Mexican accent always gives me a huge laugh. Also, watch the original in Italian please.

No comments:

Post a Comment