Friday 5 August 2016

Review CXLIV - 少林三十六房

Review 144
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)

I have a confession to make: I'm not a big fan of martial arts films. I guess I found the plot device so over-used that I gave up on them before I even gave them a chance. However, my boyfriend has always been a big fan, so I found myself becoming water in his presentations of films. Actually, that's a lie since we stumbled upon 劉家良's 少林三十六房, starring 劉家輝, or Gordon Liu as he's known to English audiences. Yes, he is the master from the Kill Bill series. Crazy! Anyway, I chose 少林三十六房 because one, it was Mandarin, and two, I had read the film had become a cult classic and earning title of one of the greatest kung-fu films ever. Considering I already know the brilliance of Bruce Lee, I was down to check out a classic that starred someone else. 快点儿! Let's review this baby!

San Te (Gordon Liu) is a prospering student out to destroy the Manchu government's hold on his town. Once his father is killed after a rebellion, he takes his training to the great Shaolin temple. Will his lessons pay off?

少林三十六房 is master cheese indeed and full of typical training montages. Honestly, this is how I like my kung fu films (based on the few I have watched). Ones that try to take themselves too seriously in general throw me off. I like the slight comedy and struggle in a our protagonist! I mean, that is pretty much my review there since the film wasn't spectacular in cinematography or shots or music or character development. I liked the training sequences, especially that one where they have to walk up a scaled pyramid and deliver water had me yelling because of those knives. What the hell, man? But yeah, the majority of the film was training sequence, which was totally expected. But I liked it. I thought it was interesting.

However, given the simplicity of the film, I also had some beef, particularly regarding the pacing. The beginning where they establish the control of the Manchu and the fact that this group is not happy went on for way too long. You just needed to show this kid living in this school, seeing the Manchu being dicks, have his father killed, and bam, he goes to Shaolin. But they spend so much time on this... Now, I wouldn't have a problem, but considering the training is a super important part and the film clocks in at about 115 minutes, it meant the final battle was short as hell. We see San Te gathering friends and comrades, and then he fights the Manchu leader, and then it just skips to show what the 36th chamber is, and the end. It was so rushed that you don't even see the guy fall, though it's implied San Te is victorious. What the hell? I mean, the training is important, but didn't we witness the training so we could see a final fight? Instead, it happens and we don't really get proper closure scene-wise. It was sad to say the least. Would I say the ending ruined the film for me? No, but it was super rushed and makes the film less good than it was. I would recommend the film to a kung fu fan, but I would warn them that the end is kind of meh. And I hate having to add that "but".

I guess that's all I have to say about 少林三十六房 really. It was fun, but the beginning was long for nothing and the ending was short for nothing. Still worth a watch if you're a kung fu buff, especially if you like melty cheese.

Also, that weapon though. Not ingenious. Not ingenious at all.


The trailer sums up each chamber, so if you want a complete "surprise", stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment