Saturday 9 June 2012

Review VII - The Yakuza

Review VII
The Yakuza (1974)

The yakuza is a traditional organised crime group from Japan. Originally a crime group that started in the 17th century, they still continue today with over 100 000 members. The group has a very strict ruling system, and it is very well organised. Academy Award winnder Sydney Pollack took the yakuza and made the 1974 cult hit The Yakuza. It is said to be one of the first films to have an ethnic character (Takakura Ken) in a man role and has been complimented for its intelligent plot. The film also stars Robert Mitchum and Brian Keith, two actors who are quite well known, if you watch older films anyway.

The plot revolves around Harry Kilmer (Robert Mitchum) as he returns to Japan to help out an old friend, George Tanner (Brian Keith), whose daughter was kidnapped by the yakuza as Tanner has been doing business with the yakuza but could not meet the standards of a deal. Kilmer goes to visit an old beau, Eiko (Kishi Keiko), a woman he fell in love with after the war. He had helped her daughter get medicine and lived together, but when Ken (Takakura Ken), Eiko's brother, came back from an island where he had been stranded as a Japanese soldier, he became enraged but was forever in dept for what Kilmer did for him. Now Kilmer is asking for Ken's help with the yakuza, which turns into a greater affair than they thought.

I thought it was an interesting plot. It was also nice watching a film where an oriental man was seen on equal ground as an American. There is also a cool little twist at the end of the film which I thought was well done. The fight scenes were well choreographed, and I loved the last fight scene with Takakura Ken and Robert Mitchum. It was suspenseful, and I loved that there was no music playing during the fight scene. While I love a good soundtrack, it reminded me of Seven Samurai a bit with only the sound of katanas clashing and wooshing sounds. Sometimes I found it dragged a bit, but otherwise, a film that definitely deserves its cult status.

I'd give it a seven point five on ten. It was pretty entertaining, but as I said, some parts I found dragged. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood at the time; I'm not sure. It's worth checking out. I wouldn't highly recommend it, but if you like action films and drama, take a chance.

I couldn't find a trailer, sorry...

Pirate Bay torrent

No comments:

Post a Comment