Tuesday 19 June 2012

Review X - Reservoir Dogs

Review X
Reservoir Dogs (1992)

I'm not a die-hard Quentin Tarantino fan. I've watched but a few of his films, and though I find them good, I guess they just aren't my style. Still, when I found out Reservoir Dogs was playing at a theatre about an hour away from where I live by public transportation, I figured it would be a good time to finally watch it. I asked a friend to come along, and we sat down to Quentin Tarantino's first film.

The plot revolves around a group of six thieves chosen to rob a jewelery store, but during the heist, everything goes terribly wrong. The six men don't know each other's names, only a code name they were each given by Joe Cabot (Lawrence Tierney), father of Nice Guy Eddie (Chris Penn). The group consists of Mr. White (Harvey Keitel), real name Larry Dimmick; Mr. Orange (Tim Roth), real name Freddy Newandyke; Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi); Mr. Blonde (Michael Madsen), real name Vic Vega; Mr. Blue (Edward Bunker); and Mr. Brown (Quentin Tarantino). The surviving members of the heist begin to suspect a rat is part of the group, and they aim to find out who.

The film mostly takes place in one room - an abandonned warehouse - and man, does a lot happen in that one place. I thought the film was superb, and I'm really glad I got to see it in theatres for five dollars. There was a mix of black comedy, action, and violence, and it was a perfect blend. You get a good idea of all the personalities of the characters (well, besides Mr. Brown and Mr. Blue, but you see why that is if you watch the film), and you feel for them. It was written very well, and I loved the soundtrack. It consisted of late sixties' and seventies' songs, and man, they were catchy. I honestly think a great soundtrack makes a film even better, and this was definitely the case. The acting was not anything fantastic, but it was good. Each character fit their part well.

I'd give the film eight point five stars on ten. I don't really think there is anything else I can say besides what I mentioned. It's a Quentin Tarantino film, but I find a bit more tamed than his other films. If you're not his biggest fan, check this film out anyway. I could definitely say it is one of my favourite films, and this is coming from a person who isn't a big Quentin Tarantino fan.

Pirate Bay torrent

No comments:

Post a Comment