Monday 25 June 2012

Review XIV - Audition

Review XIV
Audition (1999)

I have a few films I want to watch from Miike Takashi. I already reviewed Ichi the Killer, and since I wasn't that impressed, I decided to check out another horror film of Miike Takashi's, Audition. It stars Ishibashi Ryo, Shiina Eihi, Kunimura Jun, and Miyuki Matsuda.

Aoyama Shigeharu (Ishibashi Ryo) is a lonely widower whose wife died of an illness many years previously. His son (Miyuki Matsuda) encourages him to get re-married, and Yoshikawa Yasuhisa (Kunimura Jun), Aoyama's friend, decides to help him out by holding fake auditions for a film so Aoyama can choose the right woman for him. Aoyama soon falls for one girl in particular, Yamazaki Asami (Shiina Eihi), but not everything is what it seems...

I liked this film. It wasn't amazing, but it was a lot better than Ichi the Killer. It had an interesting, and sad, story to it. Also, it didn't only rely on gore to shock you. In fact, spoiler, the gore was only right at the end of the film. Otherwise, Yamazaki's life is what shocks the viewer. It brought in some strange psychological elements to it, but it was done decently. It was a strange film, but it had a human touch to it, and I liked that. Also, I don't find it so much as horror as it is suspenseful. I mean, you're horrified by what happens, but it's more a thriller. At least, to me it is.

I'd give the film seven point five stars on ten. It was an interesting thriller, and you actually felt for the characters. There was a reason for why the characters acted the way they did, and it had a good story to it. Still, it wasn't anything extraordinary. If you like suspenseful films, with a touch of horror and gore, check it out.

Pirate Bay torrent

No comments:

Post a Comment